These resources from the American Staffing Association can help you get started.
Sign Up for the ASA newsletter Staffing Today
Receive a summary of top industry news stories and learn about upcoming ASA programs in Staffing Today. Subscribe to this daily electronic newsletter at staffingtoday.net.
Study Compliance Resources
ASA sells several valuable industry textbooks.
- Get information on employment laws and regulations—read Employment Law for Staffing Professionals.
- Get a clear understanding of co-employment concepts and implications—read Co-Employment: Employer Liability Issues in Third Party Staffing Arrangements.
- Find employment law information specifically for direct hire recruiters—read Employment Law for Search Consultants.
ASA recommends working with your legal counsel to learn about licensing, registration, and bonding laws that may be applicable in your state.
Research Safety Best Practices
ASA is committed to protecting the rights, safety, and well-being of temporary workers-and educating staffing companies, their clients, and temporary workers about temporary worker rights and employee responsibilities under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Learn about the alliance between ASA and the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Utilize staffing industry best practices for employee safety.
Explore Industry Research
ASA offers key industry research and analysis, economic data, operations benchmarks, and business intelligence-including
- ASA Staffing Industry Playbook—provides data-driven information and insights critical to strategic planning and business development
- Staffing Statistics by State—collects employment, payroll, and sector statistics illustrating the economic contribution of the industry at the state level
- ASA Staffing Index—tracks weekly changes in temporary and contract employment and serves as an indicator of current economic conditions
- Staffing employment and sales Survey—delivers quarterly information on temporary and contract staffing sales, payroll, employment, and direct hire metrics, with sector and company size detail
- Staffing operations benchmarks—gather sales, expenses, profit, and personnel performance metrics
- Staffing compensation and benefits data—comprehensive view of corporate/internal employee salaries and benefits, including executives
Review Marketing Resources
The New Language of Staffing: Handbook for Communicating Your Company’s Values to Job Seekers is based on industry research into an issue identified by staffing and recruiting companies as one of their top concerns—growing the talent pipeline. This handbook for staffing professionals details the job seeker mindset and pain points, the industry’s value proposition to job seekers, a new lexicon for communicating with job seekers, and more.
- Order your copy from the ASA Store.
Find Industry Suppliers
Find companies that specialize in the staffing industry. The ASA Marketplace provides a listing of associate members by specialty.
Learn About Staffing
If there’s a topic important to staffing firms and staffing professionals, it’s likely covered during ASA webinars and events.
- Check out the listing of upcoming programs for opportunities to learn best practices, legal updates, recruiting tactics, marketing, analysis and trends, and much more.
Meet the Requirements for ASA Membership
Because the American Staffing Association’s bylaws require firms to be open for business and actively placing staff on assignment, companies in the beginning stages of opening do not qualify for membership. Additional criteria for membership require that firms operate on a for-profit basis as a separately identifiable entity that provides staffing or employment-related services to third parties and does not charge its employees a fee for placing them in jobs. Applicant firms must agree to abide by the ASA Code of Ethics and Good Practices. In addition, firms must be able to demonstrate they have a process in place for making lawful worker classification decisions and assume responsibility for these decisions.